There are several things that I know to be true of Narcissists and the Narcissist’s World (which includes their inner circle: new girlfriend, new wife, etc).
- When tragedy strikes, so do they.
- They hate to be ignored. They cannot handle it.
- The Narcissist’s inner circle often goes into ‘attack mode’ to protect their Narcissist from anyone who tries to shed light on the situation or the Narcissist. They feed the Narcissist’s ego by defending him and in turn, they are showered with gifts, compliments and validation that “he” is the most wonderful man on the planet.
There was an article posted in today’s New York Post about Suzanne Shaw and Peter Cook. Many media sources suggest that Suzanne has fled the country amidst rumors that Mr. Cook cheated on her. Shocking, I know. The article goes onto quote Suzanne Shaw as saying, “The black cloud of Christie Brinkley’s hate has hung over our lives for the five years I have been with Peter, and has taken an unhappy toll on me and my daughter’s life — on all our lives. I needed a break.”
My comments in reference to my three observations of Narcissists and how it relates to this situation:
1. When tragedy strikes, so do they. Christie Brinkley is in mourning. She has lost both parents in a very short period of time and this loss has devastated her, as it would anyone of us. Therefore, he is lashing out at her while she is down. Most of us can’t understand that because we have compassion and empathy. Narcissists have never (nor can they ever) experienced compassion or empathy. It is impossible. They are emotionally deceased.
The general public is uneducated on Narcissism. They wrongfully assume that Mr. Cook must have valid reason to have so much animosity towards Ms. Brinkley. Why else would his constant attacks happen? They happen because he has an incurable personality disorder than makes him inhuman. If you are unfamiliar with Narcissism, this is textbook behavior and I encourage you to research Narcissistic Personality Disorder and how it relates to divorce before passing judgement.
2. They hate to be ignored. They simply cannot handle it. Mr. Cook has been relentless in his pursuit to attack her and to stay front and center in the media spotlight- in true Narcissistic fashion. He is in need of his next “fix” by attacking her or trying to gain media attention. The bottom line is: he can’t get his fix and it is making him insane.
3. The Narcissist’s inner circle often goes into ‘attack mode’ to protect their Narcissist from anyone who tries to shed light on the situation or the Narcissist. They feed the Narcissist’s ego by defending him and in turn, they are showered with gifts, compliments and validation that “he” is the most wonderful man on the planet and has been victimized. I have walked in these shoes. I made the typical excuses in my head: “No one understands him like I do”. Narcissists have an uncanny ability to make themselves out to be the victim and because their supply sources (Suzanne Shaw) can’t believe that he is anything but wonderful, she goes on the attack.
Another excerpt from today’s New York Post:
Shaw’s become increasingly vocal in the fracas between Cook and his ex, whom she describes as “vengeful.” In June she posted a list of “lies” she accused Brinkley of propagating on the model’s Facebook page. “I posted it early,” Shaw said. “Peter told me she is a late sleeper so I got a good hour or so out of it . . . ha ha.”
Brinkley had no comment. But a source countered: “Christie’s been occupied all summer by her parents who were ill. She recently buried both of them. She has been in mourning . . . and is starting rehearsals for the tour of ‘Chicago.’ ” The source added, “Suzanne has been the vengeful one by posting on Christie’s Facebook page.”
My final comments:
I like many am sitting here trying to figure out what the current issue is? Ms. Shaw “fled the country” sometime this summer and Christie has been at her dying parents bedside for many, many months. Maybe the media reports of Mr. Cook’s infidelity are true (no one saw THAT coming!) and in an effort to save face, Suzanne is trying to avoid the wrath of “I told ya so” by shifting the focus off of herself.
I think that the black cloud has a name and it has absolutely nothing to do with Christie Brinkley. By all accounts, I believe that it is Suzanne Shaw who is incredibly vengeful in her relentless pursuit to attack Ms. Brinkley during her time of mourning. I can personally attest to this because I was on the receiving end of messages from Ms. Shaw in the aftermath of their most recent court trial.
I admire Ms. Brinkley’s grace when she addresses the media in the same way she addresses Mr. Cook’s attacks, “No comment”.
Seeking a Private Forum for advice, inspiration and support? Join Tina and the Lemonade Warriors in The Lemonade Club! For information, please email Tina@onemomsbattle.com
Seeking a Divorce Coach for your high-conflict divorce and custody battle? Contact Tina Swithin at Tina Swithin, LLC
Seeking insight, encouragement and advice while divorcing a narcissist? Tina Swithin’s books, “Divorcing a Narcissist: One Mom’s Battle” and her new book “Divorcing a Narcissist: Advice from the Battlefield” are available on Amazon or through Barnes & Noble. Learn how to set boundaries, navigate your way through the divorce and see the narcissist for who he/she really is. You will learn to forgive yourself and you will begin to heal.