I have never been a fan of yours. I’ve never paid attention to your work because the few times I’ve seen your show, it had a very “Jerry Springer-esque” feel to it. My comment on your community page wasn’t published so I will resort to writing you an open letter in hopes that you will issue a public apology.
Several people wrote to me today regarding your show on Narcissistic Personality Disorder and because that is a topic very near and dear to my heart, I watched the clip. To say that I was appalled by your portrayal of a very serious personality disorder is an understatement. Narcissism isn’t about standing in front of a mirror and being enamored with oneself.
Narcissism has wreaked havoc on my life and countless other men and women who find themselves divorcing a narcissist. Susan Powell tried to divorce a narcissist. Lacey Peterson is an example of someone who was married to a narcissist. Obviously, there are varying degrees of narcissism. As someone who promotes himself as a “doctor”, you should be incredibly ashamed of yourself.
There are an army of us who work tirelessly to educate the public, the media and the courtroom about Narcissistic Personality Disorder and you just set us back tremendously. I encourage you to speak to the women and men in my group who have been devastated by this personality disorder. I encourage you to do a show that take a look at the reality of Narcissistic Personality Disorder and what it is like to divorce a narcissist.
Here are just a few quotes from my Facebook page today:
- I posted on the show’s Facebook page this morning and said being narcissistic goes waaaay beyond looking at yourself in the mirror too much, something most teenage girls do but generally out grow. He’s an ass. He’s a narcissist. That’s why he trivialized it, I think. After all, how could a balding, middle-aged man EVER be accused of being narcissistic if mirror-gazing is how it’s determined?
- It was disgusting. Makes NPD look as though its just people staring at themselves. He did not go into the abuse and utter devastation the victim suffers. Not to mention the effect on children. How can people understand this mental illness if people in the media trivialize it??
- Reminds me of when Matt Lauer interviewed Christy Brinkley. It is truly a disgrace to all of us that suffer daily from dealing with NPD.
- Tina, I was going to message you about this after I happened to see it today, glad others felt the same way, too & said something. I was initially happy to hear that he was covering the topic of narcissism & ended up that it was a total joke, a disgrace to all of us that are dealing with exes with NPD. The only thing I did feel he effectively portrayed was how those uneducated about this disorder perceive it. If anyone on this site can honestly say their ex actually admits they are a narcissist, I would be shocked. It’s garbage like this that is broadcasted that takes us a step back in our quest to get the attention of family courts. In my case, we had psychologicals done that specifically said, among other things, that my ex was “quite narcissitic” & the magistrate ignored it, wouldn’t allow it discussed in court & probably thought…”so he is a little selfish & looks at himself in the mirror too much”. They have NO idea. Thanks for nothing, Dr. Phil.
- Truly disgusting. Truly disturbing. I hope no one I have told my story to saw this. It’s hard enough for anyone to believe it. Now it’s been trivialized and distorted.
If you are interested to speaking to real people who know what this disease is about first-hand, I encourage you to contact me because you owe it to the public to set the record straight about what this disorder really is.
“Like” One Mom’s Battle on Facebook or Follow me on Twitter @onemomsbattle.com
To purchase Tina’s new book, “Divorcing a Narcissist- One Mom’s Battle”, click here. You will find insight, red flag reflections and strategies on how to survive while divorcing a narcissist or co-parenting with a narcissist. Tired of panicking at the site of a new email from the narcissist in your inbox? Learn how to decode the emails and see them for what they are. You will learn to forgive yourself and to begin healing.